Financial Assistance & Scholarships

Postgraduate Studentship (PGS)

Full-time regular research postgraduate students are eligible for a postgraduate studentship of HK$18,030 per month (2021-22 academic year) during their normative study period. The studentship is intended to help cover daily subsistence, tuition fees and other expenses that students may incur during the course of their study.

The normative study period for students admitted to the integrated MPhil and PhD program is a total of five years (2 years of MPhil study and 3 years of PhD study).

The normative study period for PhD students with a Research Masters degree in the relevant area from an outside institution is three years; and for PhD students without a Research Masters degree in the relevant area from an outside institution, it is four years.

The School will also offer a top-up stipend to a highly select number of students who demonstrate outstanding performance.

The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)

The Research Grants Council (RGC) of the Government of the Hong Kong SAR offers a PhD Fellowship Scheme to support the Doctoral Research Studies of outstanding students in Hong Kong. The fellowship provides the awardee with:

  • Stipend: HK$322,800 (~USD41,400) per year, for 4 years
  • RedBird PhD Scholarship: HK$40,000 (~US$5,100) in the first year of study
  • Conference Travel Allowance: HK$13,500 (~US$1,730) per year, for 4 years

Students applying directly to the PhD Program who have outstanding records are encouraged to apply to the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme. Applications need to be made through the RGC system. Details are available at

*Recipients of the Postgraduate Studentship and Hong Kong PhD Fellowship may be required to engage in duties related to teaching or research which supplement their formal degree program.

Government Student Financial Assistance

Full-time research students who have the right of abode in Hong Kong, or have resided or have had their home in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years immediately prior to the start of their year of study, may apply to the government’s Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA) for financial aid. Assistance is available through the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded Programmes (TSFS) and Non-Means Tested Loan Scheme (NLS), and students may apply to either or both schemes. Application forms are available from the WFSFAA or HKUST’s Dean of Students' Office.

Student visa/entry permit holders are not eligible to apply, irrespective of the number of years they have resided in Hong Kong.

University Loans and Bursaries

Local students with financial needs may apply for loans and bursaries administered by HKUST. In general, these funds are used to supplement government financial assistance and are not a substitute for such assistance. Details of loans and bursaries are available at the Dean of Students' Office.

Scholarships and Prizes

The University administers a number of scholarships and prizes on behalf of individual and corporate donors. They are in general awarded on the basis of academic merit and the recommendations of a school or department.  Normally, no separate application is required.

For more information, please visit