PhD in Information Systems
The Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management (ISOM) consists of two divisions: Information Systems and Operations Management. The Department is internationally recognized for its authoritative research and ranked among the Top 20 in the world and No. 1 in the Asia-Pacific region, according to the University of Texas at Dallas’s survey (2009-2013) of the premier ISOM journals: Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Management Science, and Operations Research.
Faculty members of the Information Systems (IS) division are on the editorial boards of the top IS journals. Our students have gone on to academic positions in Australia, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Singapore, UK, and the USA. Some are now full professor/associate professors and on the editorial boards of the top IS journals.
The two key areas of research focus in the IS division are as follows:
(1) Business IT
- Fintech: Big data analytics, AI, text and sentiment analysis, blockchain and cryptocurrency
- IT strategy and organization: Technology use and implementation, human computer interaction
- IT policy: cybersecurity, privacy, technology regulation
(2) Digital Platforms
- Crowdsourcing: Crowd funding, innovation contests, idea competitions
- Social media: Online sales and advertising, online communities, user generated content
- Electronic commerce: platform economics, mobile commerce, two-sided markets
Click here to learn more on Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management faculty and their research areas.